Looks like Gwent is going to get it’s first official CDPR Tournament in April! The Gwent Challenger Tournament will include open qualifiers which will determine the four players that will get a chance to compete in the Main Event with four pro players. These pro players are: Trump, LifeCoach, ppd, and Noxious.
- Not everyone who signs up will participate in the tournament. After the closing of the sign-up period, the highest ranked 256 players from each division on GWENT’s leaderboard will be selected to participate in the Day 1 qualifiers, as long as they have applied correctly.
- The Open Qualifiers will take place across one weekend on the 8-9 April 2017. The ‘Temeria’ Open Qualifiers will take place at 12pm PST and the ‘Redania’ Open Qualifiers will take place at 12pm GMT on each day.
- There will be 256 places available in each Open Qualifier. This means there are 512 places available in total across both the ‘Temeria’ and ‘Redania’ Open Qualifiers.
- The Main Event will take place on 13 May 2017 at ESL Arena in Katowice, Zeliwna 38, Poland.
- The prizes are: first place prize is $60,000; second place prize is $20,000; and the third and fourth place prize is $10,000 each.
- The Main Event will be an eight-player tournament; four professional esports players (“Pro Players ”) and the four Qualifying Players.
We’re excited to announce GWENT Challenger — an official GWENT: The Witcher Card Game tournament organized in partnership with ESL.
The tournament will pit 4 best players from the community against professional gamers: Trump (Jeffrey Shih), Lifecoach (Adrian Koy), Noxious (Kacem Khilaji) and ppd (Peter Dager). GWENT Challenger finalists will compete for a total prize pool of $100,000.
“It’s a real privilege to observe how active GWENT players are in the realm of competitive gaming. Community-powered tournaments like The Passiflora Championship, The Seven Cats Brawl or The Gwentlemen’s Open are a source of inspiration for the entire team, and we definitely want this part of GWENT to grow,” said Paweł Burza, Community Manager, CD PROJEKT RED.
“GWENT: The Witcher Card Game was created because The Witcher community wanted it. Now we’re seeing more and more gamers wanting to play GWENT competitively, so here we are with a chance to play against some heavy-hitters, and a prize pool to spice things up,” said Marcin Iwiński, Co-founder, CD PROJEKT RED. “I can’t wait to see who wins!” Iwiński adds.
Registrations for GWENT Challenger Qualifiers, a detailed rule set, tournament roadmap and FAQ are all available on the official website.